Thursday, January 2, 2014

So, That Was a Mistake

Mom & I were going to do an errand. And the store is less than a mile away, so I happily said, "I'll walk!"

Walking was part of my daily life in Anonos, and I got used to it. And liked it. Most of the time.

I stepped out the front door, and the cold took my breath away.

Literally, I could not catch my breath.

When it finally returned, the first inhale froze all of my nose hairs.

Four steps from the door, I knew I had made a mistake in choosing to walk.

But I am no quitter.

So I continued.

My face stung.
My legs were numb.
My fingers were freezing.
The sidewalks were icy.

I picked my way down the sidewalks until they weren't even plowed any more.

My options were:
Walk through snowdrifts three feet deep
or
Walk in the road.

And suddenly, there was Mom in the car.

I climbed in.

And I cried.

Because it was like a physical reminder of the emotional stuff raging in my head and heart right now.

Everything.
Is.
Different.

Two weeks ago I was living in a place that is thirteen inches from the sun.

Where sweat was a part of daily life.

And sunburns.

And sitting in front of fans, longing for the cold of winter in New England.

And this arctic blast is just another reminder that I'm not the same person I was before Costa Rica.

Including my thinned out blood.

(Disclaimer... when I got home, I found out it is -15... and that didn't include the windchill. I don't care who you are, or where you're from. That's cold.)

3 comments:

  1. I remember coming home after some warm winters to a cold one, and thinking "I can't go outside. It (the cold) will get me!"

    And it wasn't THAT COLD! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay. My name is Anna Gdanian. I'm also a missionary supported by the wonderfully amazing prayer warriors at Chestnut Hill Chapel. I've heard about you many times through the Millers and been consistently blessed by the sincerity and openness in your blog communication. I can certainly learn from you as I'm not so good at keeping people updated :) I have been praying for you and excited to hear you're also home. I am home in NH after 18 months of being in Namibia, SW Africa and thought it might be neat to meet with you (I like-minded person) in person. I have also been having a difficult time being here after living in the desert for so long with the most amazing children who REALLY need God's love and security with their lives' constant struggles. Difficulty does not always mean bad, it's an opportunity to grow more in faith and the character of God, right? (James 3) I know that God has a purpose in every situation He has us in. I didn't know how else to connect but I'd love to hear from you! email: anna.gdanian@gmail.com phone: 603-769-0478 Blessings for a peaceful transition.

    ReplyDelete